With each release, Skyzoo is increasingly becoming one of those rare abnormalities within the genre of Hip-Hop, a “Lyricist’s Lyricist“.
He continues to display his verbal prowess, consistently upping the ante and proving that his Twitter blurb rings with truth as it states he’s “Better Than 90% of Your iPod. Neck & Neck With The Other 10%“. A look back and a few downloads of his past work (especially THIS one and THIS one) would confirm it as well but it’s on his newest long player, “A Dream Deferred“, he brings his A Grade material; easily coupling couplets about what motivated him to make music and the circumstances behind his arrival to present day.
Most notably in track eleven, the Best Kept Secret produced “How to Make It Through Hysteria“, where Sky starts off intoning the opening lines from the third verse of NaS’ “Street Dreams“, using the elder Queens statesman’s lines as a jump off point for his own vehement narrative of over the grimy keys, blaring horns and concrete drums. But it’s at the 2:35 mark, when the louder elements of the track drop away and leave Sky’s words to fend for self, that truly showcases the inner workings of Brooklyn spitter’s craft.
“How to Make It Through Hysteria”
As always, if you’re having trouble following the script, RapGenius has got you covered.